Adobe special offer — save 40% off the first year of Adobe Creative Cloud.
How To Create An Antique Photo Effect In Camera Raw - Video and Step-by-step Tutorial
This week learn how to transform the Dunguaire Castle image from last week’s technique into a weathered black-and-white print with Adobe Photoshop and Camera Raw. . We’ll balance the luminance levels to create the sepia tone, and we’ll add some film grain and vignetting. Let’s see how it works.
To get started, follow along with Deke in this week’s free video and use the companion text below to help with each step.
1. Open the photo in Photoshop and transform it into a Smart Object so that you can revisit your changes at any time.
2. Double-click the layer thumbnail to open the image in Camera Raw. Go to the Basic panel and make sure all the adjustments are at zero. However, change Contrast to +35.
3. Go to the HSL/Grayscale tab and check the Convert to Grayscale box to dial in a custom black-and-white adjustment. Increase the Reds to brighten those areas of the image. Darken the grass by reducing the Greens and make the sky more dramatic by reducing the Blues.
4. Switch to the Split Toning panel and increase the Saturation values for both the highlights and shadows. Change the Hue of the highlights to 50, which is a yellowy orange color. Change the Hue associated with shadows to 45. Adjust the Balance to increase the contrast a bit more.
5. Select the Lens Correction tab and turn on Enable Lens Corrections. And if you’re working inside Camera Raw 6, which is included along with Photoshop CS5, then you’ll want to turn on the check box at the bottom of the panel as well. In Camera Raw 7, it’s located here inside the Color panel, and it’s called Remove Chromatic Aberration.
6. Switch to the fx tab. Increase Amount and Size in the Grain section to add a film grain effect to your image. Change the vignetting style to Color Priority and increase the Roughness and decrease the Amount. This will create a dark vignette in the corners of your image. Click OK to exit out of Camera RAW and open your image in Photoshop.
7. Lastly, in Photoshop we’ll add some sharpening by choosing Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen and dial in an Amount of 200%, a Radius of 2 pixels, and enable the Lens Blur setting. This filter will be applied as a Smart Filter since the image was converted to a Smart Object. This way you can adjust the filter settings at any time. If you like, you can reduce the Opacity of the Smart Filter layer to take a bit of an edge off the sharpening.
And that’s how you take a full-color digital photograph and render it out as a kind of antique film photo using a combination of Camera Raw and Photoshop. You can get a free 7-day trial to the lynda.com Online Training Library. The trial membership entitles you to 7 days of access to all 986 courses in the lynda.com Online Training Library for free. Click sign up on the subscription plan of your choice to get started.
Adobe Creative Cloud Special 40% Discount Offer
Current Creative Suite users - Save 40% off the first year on Adobe Creative Cloud. Offer available to all registered users of individual products and suites, CS3 or later.
With Adobe Creative Cloud, a simple monthly membership gives you the entire collection of CS6 tools and more. Love print? Interested in websites and iPad apps? Ready to edit video? You can do it all.
Creative Cloud members also automatically get access to new products and exclusive updates as soon as they’re released. Creative Cloud is available for individuals or teams. Download a 30-day free trial of any Adobe product, including the full Master Collection.
onOne Plugins 40% Off Sale Until End Of March
For 3 days only, you can get your favorite onOne product at a huge discount, but only if you purchase from this webpage by March 29th. You'll have peace of mind knowing that you get free video training, free webinars, weekly inspiration video episodes, world-class technical support and a 30-day money back guarantee. Get a new product or upgrade your favorite product now.
PERFECT PHOTO SUITE 7 — Premium Edition
Seven products in one! Everything you need to add effects, retouch portraits, replace backgrounds and enlarge images for print. This Edition works with Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, and as a standalone application.
Full Version — $299.95 | $199.95 You save $100
Upgrade — $149.95 | $99.95 You save $50
onOne Software For Digital Photographers
onOne Software is the fastest and easiest way to make your images extraordinary. They work everywhere – with Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, and as standalone applications.
Perfect Photo Suite
- Everything You Need to Realize Your Photographic Vision
- Seven integrated products for your photography workflow
- Perfect Effects: Create images with impact
- Perfect Portrait: Simply powerful retouching
- Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals): Enlarge images for print
- Perfect Layers: The power of layers without Photoshop
- Perfect Mask: The essential cut-out tool
- FocalPoint: Put the focus where you want
- PhotoFrame: Borders, backgrounds, textures and adornments
Perfect Effects - Add popular HDR and retro looks
Perfect Portrait - Automatic skin smoothing and blemish removal
Perfect Mask - Easily cut around the tough stuff like hair, glass, and tree branches
Perfect Resize - Enlarge mobile phone to DSLR images up to 1000%
FocalPoint - Create the look of fast, expensive lenses instantly
PhotoFrame - Complete library of more than 1000 professional design elements
Perfect Layers - Extend the image editing power of Lightroom & Aperture
Exclusive 15% Discount On Topaz Plugins, Bundles And Upgrades
Enter our exclusive discount coupon code PHOTOSHOPSUPPORT during the checkout process at Topaz Labs for an instant 15% discount on any Topaz product, including bundles and upgrades.
Topaz Labs Photoshop plug-ins are specifically designed to expand a photographer's creative toolbox by harnessing powerful image technology developments. Photographers everywhere are now taking advantage of the creative exposure effects, artistic simplification, unique edge manipulation, and top-of-the-line noise reduction offered in Topaz products. The Topaz Photoshop Plugins Bundle is a super powerful Photoshop plugins package that includes the following Topaz products:
Deliver stunning and dynamic images with this uniquely powerful plug-in that features HDR-like abilities and enhances exposure, color and detail.
Topaz InFocus uses the latest advancements in image deconvolution technology to restore, refine and sharpen image detail.
A three-level detail adjustment plug-in that specializes in micro-contrast enhancements and sharpening with no artifacts.
The fastest and most effective masking and extraction program with one-click mask refining.
Highest-quality noise reduction plug-in that removes the most noise and color noise while preserving the most image detail.
Provides creative simplification, art effects, and line accentuation for easy one-of-a-kind art.
Take control of the detail depth of your images with extensive smoothing, texture control and edge enhancement tools.
Drastically improves the quality of web images and other compressed photos.
Learn more about the Topaz Photoshop Plugins Bundle. Download a free trial version.
Site Grinder Web Design Tool
There often seems to be a strict division of labor within the world of web design and development. Creative professionals tend to stick to the Photoshop domain, while those well-versed in scripting are left to the task of implementing their work. Indeed, the two realms are quite different from each other, to which any of us even vaguely familiar with either can easily attest.
Essentially, Photoshop is a no-holds-barred design studio, offering the artist a seemingly endless array of creative options. On the other hand, HTML, CSS, Java and the like follow strict rules of engagement, requiring the developer to take any number of esoteric concerns into consideration in order to ensure that designs are properly displayed on the web.
Turn Photoshop Into A Complete Web Design Tool
SiteGrinder seeks to bridge this gap between design and development. Basically, SiteGrinder turns Photoshop into an easy-to-use and fully functional web design tool. With SiteGrinder, designers will now have the freedom to totally let their creativity loose and then, without skipping a beat, transfer their designs to the web. Bringing esthetic concerns together with more practical considerations, SiteGrinder is an amazingly powerful tool that would make a fantastic addition to any web designer's bag of tricks. Mac OS X and Windows versions of the SiteGrinder unlockable demo are available now via download.
lynda.com Online Training Library - View Free Video Clips
Subscriptions to the lynda.com Online Training Library provide anytime access to tens of thousands of video tutorials covering Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, web design, digital imaging, 3D, digital video, animation, and many other topics. View free video clips.
For less than a dollar a day, members have the opportunity to stay current and keep skills sharp, learn innovative and productive techniques, and gain confidence and marketability - all at their own pace. Premium subscriptions include instructors’ exercise files so that members can follow along with the exact examples onscreen. Customers learn at their own pace and may stop, rewind, and replay segments as often as necessary. View some free video clips (high resolution).