Try a 30-day free trial of Photoshop or any Adobe CS6 product. More info.
Creating An Optimal Facebook Cover Image In Photoshop - Video Tutorial
In this week's free video Deke McClelland shows you how to create a perfectly spaced, sized, and positioned Facebook cover photo. Sure, you could take your chances and upload a carefully selected photo for your cover image, then hope limited repositioning controls in Facebook let you adequately present your creative vision. Or you could watch this week's movie and find out how to craft your cover in Photoshop (CS6 free trial) ahead of time, to present a vision that's exactly what you want for your Facebook page.
The key to getting things positioned precisely is creating a template that allows you to plan your composition exactly. Specifically, here are the dimensions that you want:
Although the 851 x 315 dimensions of the standard Facebook cover is fairly common knowledge, the key to ultimately having your cover and the smaller inset profile picture work together with technical accuracy is to anticipate in Photoshop how the two will visually interact. In this project, Deke's goal is to have text that spans across the cover photo actually look as though it begins inside the smaller profile photo. (His kooky brush tiki man also spans across both images.) This requires some deft use of smart objects, layer masks, duplication, trimming, and of course, the Save for Web command. Here is the result of Deke's project:
Of course, you can extrapolate from this technique to create your own professionally crafted cover photo for your own personal or business page. And members of lynda.com can watch this week's exclusive video, in which Deke continues the project by showing you how he got his inset profile image to work as part of the larger cover photo, replete with letter D and the handle of the brush character positioned so that they flow from one image to the next.
You can get a free 7-day trial to the lynda.com Online Training Library. The trial membership entitles you to 7 days of access to all 986 courses in the lynda.com Online Training Library for free. Click sign up on the subscription plan of your choice to get started.
Download A 30-day Free Trial Of Any Adobe Creative Suite
Photoshop Extended integrates the state-of-the-art editing, compositing, and graphic design capabilities of Adobe Photoshop, and features advanced tools for 3D design, image and video editing.
Photoshop and Photoshop Extended can be purchased as stand-alone applications, as components of the Adobe Creative Suite family, or as part of Adobe's new Creative Cloud offering. Upgrade pricing is also available to eligible customers.
Download the 30-day Photoshop free trial, or a trial of any Adobe product, including the Master Collection. See our Photoshop CS6 Tutorials Page for a collection of free tutorials and videos. Visit the Adobe Coupons & Special Offers Page to see the latest deals from Adobe. Get up to 80% off at the Adobe Education Store.
onOne Software For Digital Photographers – Exclusive 15% Discount
onOne Software is the fastest and easiest way to make your images extraordinary. They work everywhere – with Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, and as standalone applications. Use discount code PSSPPT06 to get 15% off any onOne product.
Perfect Photo Suite
- Everything You Need to Realize Your Photographic Vision
- Seven integrated products for your photography workflow
- Perfect Effects: Create images with impact
- Perfect Portrait: Simply powerful retouching
- Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals): Enlarge images for print
- Perfect Layers: The power of layers without Photoshop
- Perfect Mask: The essential cut-out tool
- FocalPoint: Put the focus where you want
- PhotoFrame: Borders, backgrounds, textures and adornments
- Add popular HDR and retro looks
- Recreate the look of film and darkroom techniques
- Finish images with vignettes, textures and borders
- Simply powerful portrait retouching
- Automatic skin smoothing and blemish removal
- Instant enhancement of eyes and teeth
- Remove backgrounds with a single click
- Easily cut around the tough stuff like hair, glass, and tree branches
- All of the best masking tools without Photoshop
- Get the highest quality image enlargement, powered by Genuine Fractals
- Enlarge mobile phone to DSLR images up to 1000%
- Maintain all the sharpness and detail of your original photo
- Create the look of fast, expensive lenses instantly
- Control depth of field after the shot
- Simulate the creative look of tilt-shift lenses
- Enhance images with borders, textures and adornments
- Add authentic film and darkroom edge effects
- Complete library of more than 1000 professional design elements
- Extend the image editing power of Lightroom & Aperture
- Combine the best parts of multiple photos
- Retouch portraits and landscapes
Exclusive 15% Discount On Topaz Plugins, Bundles And Upgrades